Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Stage 5: Ride to Yelagiri, 14 Hairpin Bends, 14 Great Tamil Poets and Pacelines

The day of rest at Hogenakal was a well deserved break from the saddle. Many of the fellow riders decided to go for the loop ride of about 68 kms while many relaxed those tired legs staying put in the hotel. I and VDHehe took a day off. It was day for me to explore my iPhone and play endless amount of Pool and Stick Cricket. The bike needed some basic servicing in terms of a change of rear wheel tubes. I had picked up a slow puncture which thankfully did not show up the day en route to Hogenakal. I seriously wouldn't have wanted one after all the trouble I had to go through in Stage 2, I said to myself.

The rest day was spent cleaning the bike. VDHehe spent the day sorting his laundry. Later on, some of us were discussing about bike mechanics, I test rode the FUJI folding bike which Fizzy was supposed to ride and shared our experiences of how to climb hills. All attempts were made to enable a few guys like Pradeep Menon on hybrids to shift to a road bike. It was XMAS day, of course, and everyone was merry in their own ways. My roadie mates were all gone before dawn to catch some fish and have them cooked to their liking. They went on a short bike ride and rule was no lycra or helmet. I so wish I had joined them. Later in the evening, I and my roadie mates relaxed with couple of bottles of British Empire and then the usual expert commentary on everything from how to ride in the drops and what to do in a pace line. Evening was spent dressing up in the most coloured costume. Suresh lived up to his reputation of digging colours that even Picasso would be proud of. 


It would be a long 138 kms ride to Yelagiri and usual 1300 meters of climb. It would start off with a short 3 kms long climb which we had descended a few days ago riding into Hogenakal. I was looking forward to that short but steady climb with an average of 5% gradient. All roadies kind of started of scattered at the front, back and middle. I, VDHehe and Sapkesh were the last of the lot to leave the hotel. The Yelagiri, our destination for the day, is a fabled climb about 11 kms in length which boasts of 14 hairpin bends. I figured later from my fellow riders that the 14 hairpins have been named after 14 great poets of Tamil literacy. 


The initial 3 kms long climb from Hogenakal was a good way to remove all the lactic that had accumulated during the rest day. Within a few kilometers of start I was alone all by myself with Vaibhav taking it easy. He was excited about having the GPS TACX file fixed on his Garmin. Sapeksh also took it easy. I passed one and all over the next few kilometers and had soon reached the check post that marked the ghat section. For a kilometer or so I tailed Vankatadiri who I believe was busy filming the proceedings and surroundings on his head mounted camera. I kind of take a short detour and thankfully figure and turn back before it became another tour of the unknown.

I turn back and come across Vaibhav. Prob Gyan, the man with sunglasses and two of us ride for short distance. I try to tempt Prob to try out a few sprints and all out bursts. He was in his own self grinding some decent at low tempo effort. I and VDHehe drop him in couple of kilometers and we soon find ourselves taking turns to pull each other. VDHehe takes charge of the pace and we reach the first support station. We quickly refill out water bottles and as usual the support team is happy to spoil us with cakes of all varieties and bananas. We stop by to take some photos. Sanjay and Anjali as always were one of the first to arrive (and to leave) at the pit stop closely followed by Muthu. In no time, Sanjay and Anjali disappear with their customary 10 mins stop while we loiter around. Muthu and Prob also disappear into the horizon. Finally, I'm back with my roadie team.



Looking at the headwind and the flatness of the tarmac I, VDHehe, Venkat and Jothi soon form pace line allowing each of us 2 mins to come in the front and do some pulling. Throughout the pull, my thoughts were in Sri Lanka and the effort that each of the Mamils put to tackle those headwind and crosswinds whilst riding to Jaffna. It was a challenge to negotiate the winds across the peninsula that literally brought us to standstill on many occasion. It was painful. Only thing I wanted to ensure was when the pull is over by the lead rider, he had to be given a few seconds to gather and fall back at the tail of the pace line. I remember making that mistake of keeping the pace high and my brother shouting from the back asking me of slow down to allow the puller to fall back and rest for a few seconds. I did the same with Vaibhav. VDHehe was in a killing mood and he did some great pulls. It was his moment.


I think it was the 1st time we actually rode as a unit and the discipline was evident. The end result was 14 kilometers of pace line averaging around 34 kmph and that too in headwind. We soon catch up with Muthu and the machines from Pune. We join them for a long distance but slowly break away. We never saw Siva for a long time. I would have guessed him to be right in the front really going after the trucks for an effortless draft. Effortless is an understatement in his case. He can go and go on drafting for 50 kms. If there is anything he does well other descending, it has got to be his ability to draft. Those GU gels are his poison and he would go like a rocket. 


Now, tell me do I stand like Giant robot in the photo above ? I think I do after the comment one of my good friends posted on my FB page. Come on, Giant Robot ! I loved that serial as a kid. VDHehe was having his Jens Voigt moment. I take his wheel for some distance only to fall back and ride with the rest of the roadies. I wanted to take a moment of rest before the climbs which was barely 20 odd kms away. I join SAP roadies - Jothi, Venkat and Amol and Siva for the rest of the journey to Yelagiri.

I was feeling hungry and so were all of us. More than food, I would have loved to have a bottle of coke. Amol also joins us or rather I should say I join them for lunch after I experience Jens Voigt moment by Vaibhav. He disappeared ! We decide to stop at Jolarpet for a light snack. The boys go for a full course meal while I decide to eat a tiny portion and some eggs. I have my coke and then the journey begins. We soon reach the base of Yelagiri for the final pit stop and some refreshment. As always Bala Sir waves at us and was ever so happy to pour that glass full of nicely freshly made salted lemon juice. I decided to continue my journey as I wanted to be done for the day.

Venkat follows me and both of us slowly start out for that steady 11 kms long climb. It was an easy climb with hair pins coming at regular interval to give that well deserved break. Soon, Venkat falls back and I'm on my own. I pass Amol who makes a steady attempt at climbing. Once again I come across an army of monkeys and the fear of that monkey bite keeps me nervous. The final few kilometers I start thinking about VDHehe who had long ago left us at Jolarpet. I had actually expected him to reach the hotel and arrange for those beers. I look at my Garmin and figure I have barely 2 kilometers left for the summit and the poet counts now stands at 10 or 12. I find Sanjay and Anjali slowly cranking up the last kilometers and in no time find VDHehe. I was surprised to see VDHehe and catch up with him because he had disappeared quite some time ago. We both then join together for the close of the day. I was actually surprised to see him as I had then guessed him to be at the hotel. But the truth be told I was gunning for him and was in many way chasing him.

We lose of patience again to find the hotel which again the locals suggest is just 'one' kilometer away. VDHehe feels his Garmin is drunk and I think I'm now brain dead. We pass the tour truck at least few times again and again but fail to see it. Venkat joins us in the hunt for the hotel. At a junction, we decided enough is enough and that ask for direction. To our embarrassment, we were just a few blocks away. Once inside the Hotel Silent Water, all that was annoying is soon turned into excitement. We get the best accommodation of the tour and soon settle in for some Aloo Paratta and Chicken 65. I enjoy my bottle of coke meanwhile and rest go for a game of badminton and massage. 

Stage 5 is done and dusted with mind trying everything to ignore the thought of century mile ride the enxt day to Kallakurichi.

No comments: