Thursday, January 2, 2014

Stage 2: Lonely ride, Descending kolli and Ascending Yercaud, 136 kms

Ha ! the devil that kolli hill was the previous day was settled with one of my best attempts at descending. Descends have never been my strength but I was determined not to be bogged down by the disappointment the previous day. I woke up with a positive frame of mind to use all my skills and experience. I was determined to tackle the rest of the tour. I wanted to get the Day 1 Monkey off my back as soon as possible. The previous evening, Vaz gave us a brief idea of what lies ahead of us on Stage 2. Little did he give us any hint that we are in for some shocker of a climb the following day. I never ever imagined that ToT will soon be one of the toughest tour I have ever done. It would soon prove to be harder than of all TfNs I have done over the past 5 years. I had to use all my experience of Mamil tour's in Sri Lanka.


The knee pain had subsided very much and I was feeling perfectly alright. We had a hearty breakfast following which everyone assembled for the flag off. The ride started off with hard climb of about 2 kms with gradients frequently hitting the high 7-9%. I was one of the last few riders to leave the hotel.  VDHehe decided not to descend the hills that day for reasons only he knows. It would have been one of his first attempts at descending anything other than the local slopes in Bombay. He decides to take the float while I decide to descend. I wanted it badly largely because I had a bad day the day before. I quickly pass many riders and find myself alone. I tackle all 70 hairpins with ease and also give my best attempt to cut corners. Whilst descending I make every attempt to keep my fingers off the brake levers and use them at right places at the right time and well before the turns. I loved every moment of it. I felt confident. I tackle gravel with ease keeping the bike steady and but keeping my body a little loose and not stiff like I usually do. 


I was one of the first riders to hit the base. I soon find Trainer VDHehe waiting for his bike to come in one of the support vehicles. Soon Muthu arrives with another rider whose name I cannot figure. He had his sun glasses on even in pitch darkness. I had my share of shouts and yells for a sprint race with him just to make it exciting. He was a strong rider though. On a lighter note, I thought he descended well throughout as he kept tailing me all the way from the summit right till the base. He later mentioned it was his first attempts at descending and that tailing me was fun. I'm sure it was because I thought I gave my best ever that day. As I hit the base I had a big smile on my face for all the confidence I had negotiating those curves at crazy speed. I wait with VDHehe but he suggests that I continue with my ride and not wait for the bike to arrive. I continued.

At about 50 kms into the ride I pass nearly all who had passed me while I was waiting with Trainer. I pass the spot where we had stopped for a drink the previous day. I passed Sanjay and Anjali and later Muthu. We greet each other at the 1st pit stop. I ride with Sanjay and Anjali for a while tailing them and some times them tailing me. Anjali for me was a top class rider. On the 3rd and last day I rode with them for quite a while. She could just sit there and pedal. Between 50 - 60th kilometer, I thought I saw heaven. I had to stop to take some photos (attached them below). It looked so surreal with the sun light breaking through the cloud cover and Kolli Hills in the background looking stunning. My thoughts kept pondering why despite all talks of illiteracy and apparently un-civilized non-modern way of life in these villages people remain keep their surrounding so free of rubbish and waste. I have never seen roads so kept clean and village boundaries  so pristine and well maintained. 



My knees were feeling brilliant and worries I had the previous day was long gone. I continue my ride for another 10 kms. Soon I'm to figure if knees were an issue the previous day, then going ahead for the rest of the tour, it will be my poor map reading skills. It was so simple to understand but it did throw some surprises. I screamed all kind of fancy words and showered them on everyone right from ToT mechanic, to support staff to tour director. I kept asking what on earth would have happened had they mark the roads for turns. I start my extra-mile a day journey which will become a routine. 

Keeping a firm face and nearly talking to myself I cheer all the kids I pass in tiny villages and take encouragement from them. It intrigued me as everyone wanted to know whether it is was a race. That kept asking 'race aa?'. I would just nod back with a smile. In no time I find a batch of school kids on roadster. They join me for good one kilometer yelling, cheering and shouting in excitement. I let them pull me for a kilometer and we form a good peloton of 10-12 cyclists. I smiled at their happiness and excitement. I wanted to join them in their happiness. Life is so simple. We city folks so adore their lifestyle as they adore our's. Nothing satisfies us and our selfishness is endless. I say bye to their cheers and continue my journey.

At that point I kept convincing myself with the reasons why I left financial market as an analyst. I do not regret that decision to leave the stock indices behind for good and selfishness that controls it. I started thinking about my new life as a teacher and limited market participant as an investor and advisor to some very personal clients. I have found a balance in life. The bank balance do multiply as it did before but now I get to sleep. No one calls me in the middle of night from the Gulf to ask for stock tips. I'm never worried about my client portfolio tanking. My worries are now shared well between me and my investor clients. With this thought I was convinced life is beautiful. It is now 68 kms and I take this magnificent piece of earthly art.


I soon complete the village road and hit the national highway. The village sound disappeared and now I was surrounded by fast moving vehicles. I'm 75 kms into my ride inching closer and closer to Yercaud. Then, there it is ! A slow puncture ! I quickly get off the saddle with a little worry because my frame pump was not that good. I knew I was way ahead of others and it will be some time before support arrives. I quickly change the tube and slowly start pumping air. The pump has spoiled the presta valve several times before so I was little apprehensive of getting the right PSI with force. I decided to wait for help while I chew on my packet of dry fruits. I knew Muthu is behind and so is Sanjay and Anjali and that help will soon arrive.


Waiting for about 30 odd mins I finally see Sanjay and Anjali. I ask them for the pump but sadly they say negative. Sanjay was kind enough to give the valve adaptor which he suggests I use at the local tyre puncture shop. I find one at close distance and ask for pump. The mechanic there look confused. He could fix only motor flats. I wait for 10 mins and then Ayyanar shows up in the form of two riders returning from a 200 BRM. Venkatesh Duraiswamy, one of the BRM riders, stop by seeing me in the repair shop. They were not part of the ToT. They stopped to help me. They even take the pain of filling air in my tube. We greet each other. I thank them for their help.

Now, good 45 mins have gone and finally I'm back on the saddle. I continue my journey and now have to look for a place called Ayodhyapattinam. The ride briefing spoke of a fork junction and then a right turn. Never in my thought I would have guessed that right turn to be an ordinary one typical of a village road so hidden. I missed it. I continue riding on the highway expecting the right turn to show up but it never did. I sense trouble as Salem appeared getting closer and closer.  I remembered from the briefing that we are not to go anywhere close to Salem but to stay on that highway. I figure at the restaurant that I'm 40 odd kms from Salem. I tell myself reaching Salem would have meant me packing my bike and heading home. I was angry.

I stop at a local restaurant by the roadside and ask for directions. I figured I'm good 5 kms off the right turn which I was supposed to take. Now, I got to ride 5 kms back with madness of a headwind still not knowing where the turn is. 10 kms added to my day. A local villager shows me the road but I'm unconvinced. It cannot be that kind of road. I wait the fork junction for 10-15 mins for someone to turn up. No one did. I take the gamble and continue as the villager suggested. I soon find Siva, Jothi, Sapeksh, Venkat all on my tail. I get a sense of relief. It is now more than an hour of ridiculous waits and wrongful direction. 

I had kind of lost all interest in the day ahead. I wanted to finish the day. Finally, VDHehe and me reach the foot hill of Yercaud. Bhaskar and Sapeksh is ahead of us. I started my climb with them. I see the sign board put up by Team Mongrels inviting ToT for a stop over. I feel good on the climb, as always and soon pass VDHehe, Sapeksh and Bhaskar. I'm nearly 10 kms in the climb with my mind tired. I soon pass Mr. Sunglasses and after a while I get yelled over by some guys saying "pambu'. It meant snake ! I was so tired and disinterested with the ride that I did not see the snake. I turn my head to see and there it is ! A snake all coiled up and in attacking position.

I was totally disinterested and continued. The climbing continues and I finally reach the pit stop set up by Team Mongrel. I have paneer sandwich and water. I ask them about the distance left. I get told 11 kms. I exchange my greetings and continue after 10 mins break. The shocker of a climb is yet to come. Its shame no one bothered to take a photo of that 2 kms long zig zag monster of a climb. I could manage only a few meters and then I find myself to have almost zero cadence. I put my foot down. I decide to walk the distance. I could see Muthu following me. He too tries his best to climb but falls off his saddle. He walks a fair distance. The entire kilometer or two long climb at minimum gradient of 10% or more and at a fair distance at over and above 15-16%. I have never climbed that gradient before. I do not regret putting my foot down.

Once the hard part was done, more correctly, walked, we get back on the saddle for the rest of the climb. Muthu and I chase each other for 7 odd kms to Hotel Tamil Nadu which was by the lake side. We ask for directions and get told kilometer to eternity. During the course of the tour, I make a decision to go and check the state's school books on distance. Any attempt to ask for distance and direction gets a standard reply. It is 'one kilometer' and that 'one' kilometer is indefinite and infinite. It is now around 5 pm. We have finally reached the hotel. I see Sanjay and Anjali very close to the hotel eating or drinking something. I wave my hand and continue. I'm closely followed by Muthu. Destination is reached.

Stage 2 is 140 kms long (128 kms as per the ride docket) with 1833 meters of climb which is good 450 meters more than what was planned for the stage. Thanks to my detour and all the to's & fro's I did to find my way. Stage 3 is all fun and roadie fury ! Guess what ? I sleep tight and about my knee pain (?). Well, it is all gone.

The link to Stage 2 ride - http://www.strava.com/activities/102774659

The link to Stage 1 ride - http://www.strava.com/activities/102774660



1 comment:

Saumyen said...

It was an interesting climb after the descent. I almost lost interest when you talked of not-riding at the mongrel pit stop. It was fun walking with you for a couple of switchbacks!